I use pesto sauce in a lot of grilling recipes, so I figured I’d share how I make it. This is a slight variant on the pesto sauce from Joy of Cooking cook book. I changed out the choice of cheese and recommend you use toasted pine nuts. Toasting the pine nuts gives an extra nutty flavor.
Pesto sauce recipe
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves loosely packed
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the basil leaves, the garlic and the cheese to a food processor with the chopping blade. Chop for 15 seconds until all the ingredients are finely chopped.
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan over medium heat. Shake the pan (like you are flipping an omelet) every few minutes or stir to ensure all sides get browned. You want to cook them until they are a nice golden brown.
- While the pine nuts are still hot, add them to the food processor and chop for another 10 to 20 seconds.
- While the food processor is running, slowly add the olive oil. Blend until fully mixed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.