Man cannot live by pork chop alone. Every now and then you must sauce it up a bit. This smoky green sauce blends great with a pork chop. The combination of roasted poblano peppers, tomatillos and garlic make a savory sauce. This might also make a great base for a roasted corn and black bean salsa, which I might have to try some day soon. I’ll let you know when I do.
It’s best to cook this recipe on a charcoal grill, so that the smoky flavor gets infused into the peppers and tomatillos.
Boneless Pork Chop with Tomatillo and Poblano Pepper Sauce
- 10 to 12 tomatillos
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 boneless pork chops
- Peel outer husks (paper like wrapper) off of the tomatillos and wash them. Slice into quarters.
- Slice onion into quarters.
- Remove the stem from the peppers. Slice in half such that the halves are as flat as possible. Remove the seeds.
- Add peppers, sliced tomatillos, onion and garlic cloves to a bowl, drizzle with oil and stir to cover.
- Grill the peppers over direct heat, making sure the skin side is charred. This will allow the skins to be easily peeled. Roast for 4 to 6 minutes on each side.
- Either skewer the tomatillos, onions and garlic on skewers, or use a basket (I recommend the Weber grilling basket). Cook them over direct heat for 7 to 15 minutes, occasionally stirring or turning, until the tomatillos and onions are tender and slightly charred. Remove them from the heat and let cool.
- After peppers have cooled, peel the charred skin from the peppers. This skin is almost plastic-like and isn't too appealing (ha!) to have in your sauce.
- Add tomatillos, onions, garlic and peppers to a blender and blend until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. Optionally you can add a bit of quality olive oil while blending to smooth out the mixture as well, about a teaspoon will work.
- Salt and pepper the chops and grill over direct medium high heat for 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- Remove chops from grill, slather in the sauce and enjoy!