Before we even discuss this delicious concoction, I have a little warning for you. This grilling recipe is a lot like David Hasslehoff’s music, you either love it or you want to skewer the person that introduced you to it. I happen to be in the camp that loves it (the recipe, not ‘Hoff’s music, though I have to admit I haven’t had the courage to listen). You have been warned, but you are welcome to leave a comment as to which side of the fence you landed on after trying this deliciousness.
Having said all of that yes, yes I did combine a banana with chocolate and then wrapped it in BACON and threw it on the grill. I mean seriously, doesn’t everyone love bacon, chocolate and bananas?? I just put them all together into one amazing package! The result is pretty much a melty (is that a word?) mess of banana and chocolate inside a salty bacon cocoon. Oh my…
Chocolate Bacon Banana Poppers
- Bacon (not maple or anything fancy, regular salty bacon)
- Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate
- Preheat the grill for high, direct heating.
- Peel a banana and cut off the two pointy ends to make a relatively straight cylinder.
- Now cut a wedge out of the banana from one end to the other.
- Stuff the wedge with the chocolate squares, pushing them into the banana and pressing the banana around the chocolate to hold them in place like so
- Now tightly wrap the banana with a strip (or two if needed) of bacon and then insert a toothpick to hold the bacon in place.
- Put the rolled banana onto the grill over direct heat.
- Now this can get tricky. That bacon grease is one of the most flare-up-inviting substances you will ever put on the grill. Keep tong in hand and eyes on that beautiful bacon and make sure you move it around to avoid the direct flames.
- Continue to turn the banana around on the grill until the bacon is crispy and cook through on all sides.
- Move to a plate, remove the toothpick and then proceed to thank me for this wonderful combination.
- Rinse and repeat until you have had enough and then wash your hands and come back to GrillingCompanion.com to leave a comment...