As we’ve said before, vegetables don’t have to be boring. And this veggie sandwich provides a delicious way to eat your veggies, not to mention get a much needed veggie post on our site.
I recommend you choose your favorite veggies for this. No sense in making a Brussels sprout sandwich if you hate Brussels sprouts.
The best options include zucchini, summer (yellow) squash, eggplant, onion, button (white) mushrooms, portobello mushroom, red or green bell peppers.
1 Summer squash
1 sweet onion
1 portobello mushroom
1 red bell pepper
3 cloves roasted garlic (see Gourmet Pizza on the Grill for instruction on how to roast)
1 slice provolone cheese
1 loaf of good french bread
Good Seasons Italian dressing made with balsamic vinegar instead of cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the zucchini and squash in long slices a little more than 1/4 inch thick. For the eggplant, I slice it in a diagonal to make it a little longer, 1/4 inch thick. For the bell peppers I try to slice so it gives the largest flat pieces for better grilling. Mushrooms are sliced so they are 1/4 inch thick as well. Onions are sliced to make rings, but don’t separate the rings of each slice.
- Marinade the sliced veggies in the Balsamic Italian dressing for at least 1 hour (4 is ideal). I put the veggies in a large glass container with a tight lid so I can give a shake about every 1/2 hour to make sure the dressing is well distributed.
- Slice the bread in long diagonals.
- Over medium direct heat, grill the veggies until they are tender but not soggy, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. For small veggies, such as the mushrooms and red peppers, I use my favorite veggie basket. I keep a spatula and a pair of tongs handy. The onion slices respond better to the spatula, while the red peppers do better with tongs.
- While the veggies are grilling, grill the bread so it is lightly browned. Spread the roasted garlic on the toasted bread.
- Add the veggies to the bread in layers, and while still hot, top with the provolone cheese and let it melt a bit before serving.
- Top with more Italian dressing if you prefer. Salt and pepper to taste.